4.8.08

Remembering Shady Lane

Back in the 1950's when I was living in Switzerland, my favorite radio station was AFN, which stood for American Forces Network, broadcasting from somewhere in Germany. The program I listened to as often as I could was the weekly countdown of the top 10 songs. Indeed, I started learning English by singing, "The Naughty Lady of Shady Lane", one of the top hits at that time.

You should see how she carries on with her admirants galore.
She must be giving them quite a thrill, the way they flock to her door.
She throws those come-hither glances at every Tom, Dick, and Joe.
When offered some liquid resheshment the lady never, never says "No".

So now you know why my English is so subtle!
The song was famous before western social values got turned inside out and upside down in the hippie/happy/pot-inspired sixties, so one simply could not get away with writing a song about a promiscuous alcoholic woman and leave it at that. And that was probably why the two song writers (Sid Tepper and Roy C. Bennett) devised a trick ending and revealed in the very last words of the lyrics that "the naughty lady" is just nine days old. Yes, days.
Cheap copout if you ask me.
Fast forward about half a century, and I now live on a shady lane as can be seen in the picture above. I'm still humming the Shady Lane tune and singing what I remember of the lyrics.
My Banrai cottage is on the immediate left (not in picture). Directly acrosss the street is the house of a good friend from Bangkok. The house next to mine used to belong to another friend, but she sold it and built a much larger one not far away.
The youngest person ever to set foot in my cottage was very well behaved. She's a former resident of an orphanage near Bangkok who now lives with her loving adopted parents in a beautiful small town in Europe.
.
Location: Baan Huey Pa Pok, Uthaitani province

No comments:

Post a Comment