13.3.09

Lone Survivor

I came across this solitary tree on a vast corn field near Banrai. The entire area was once a dense forest, but then came man.
On rare occasions, I would notice just one or two trees rising above the fields in this region as if they were living memorials to fallen comrades. I wonder what farmers like me were thinking and feeling when they decided to let just one or two trees survive.
At one of my pineapple fields, two mango trees give a lovely shade. Someone advised me to cut them down so sunlight can reach the pineapple plants below.
I have left the trees alone. However, "saving" them does not make me Mr. Wonderful, for if there had been, say, twenty trees instead of just two, the chainsaw would be buzzing.
.
Photo location: Banrai Uthaitani province (I used this photo once before in an ealier blog.)

No comments:

Post a Comment