16.9.08

Poet's Park





Looking at these pictures, you might think I've gone to visit the countryside.
This is Vondel Park, situated in the heart of Amsterdam and named after the Netherland's most celebrated poet and playwright Joost van den Vondel.
The park was established in the 1860's and is not far from the world famous Rijksmuseum which houses collections of Flemish and Dutch paintings, including, of course, works by the painter Rembrandt van Rijn (1606-69). Nica, Chris, and I went together to the museum this morning, and I walked to the park afterwards. Now I can say with deep satisfaction that I have stood in awe in front of Rembrandt's paintings! How did he achieve such magical effects of light and shadow, and what's the technique for making the vivid colors gleam and glisten, even more than 300 years later?
Blessed by art and nature, what a miraculous day it's been for me, and it's only mid afternoon!
.
Photo location: Vondel Park, Amsterdam, The Netherlands

No comments:

Post a Comment