10.8.08

Guten Tag

Photo looks better in larger size. Please click on it.

What does it feel like to learn from scratch a language that you haven't used for about fifty years? For me, it's a joy.
I have signed up for 30 German lessons at the Berlitz Language School on Silom Road in Bangkok. Not wanting to be in a class with young people who could be my grandchildren, I opted for private lessons with a very kind lady teacher from Bonn.
So far, so wunderbar!
If memory serves me right, the first school I attended in Switzerland was german, and I was probably there for about a year. A very nice lady we called "Doktor Fehr" was the school director.
I attended five schools in about eight years in Switzerland, and being very low on the family totem pole, I was never directly told ahead of time which school I would be sent to. So one day, instead of being taken to Dr. Fehr's school, I found myself dropped off at a school where all the kids and teachers spoke only French. I was probably around twelve then. Imagine my panic! It's called sink or swim education. I did a bit of both, and the long-term benefit is my love for language.
From that point on, my secondary and high school education was entirely in French (Swiss French), and we were required to take German as a second language.
There followed about half a century of not saying or thinking a single word in German; that is, until last week.
Lucky for me, language memory is buried, not erased, so when I started hearing German again, a rush of words and expressions surfaced. What a thrill! However, at this stage I'm just starting over and my biggest problem, among many others, is correct pronunciation.

Photo location: Baan Hintoom, Uthaitani province Colors modified

2 comments:

  1. that color contrast is amazing. i have no idea how to say that in german.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wowee! this is a fantastic picture poppy!

    ReplyDelete