24.7.08

Regrets


Here's another set of "before" and "after" pictures of the view over my Bang Saphan Noi backyard. I was captivated by the complex cloud formation in the top picture, and then at sunset, it was the glow, not the texture of the clouds, that took my breath away and knocked me cold. I'm easy prey to these things.
In about three years this view will be completely blocked by palm oil trees. You can see their top branches in the picture. It's a hard tradeoff between preserving the view and generating revenue from the land, so I have terribly mixed feelings.
The beauty is priceless but without revenue from palm oil trees it would be as if I had to buy an expensive ticket everytime I look at the view.
It's a classic deathbed regret thing: would I regret missing gorgeous, soul-soothing sunsets or not having more money that I can't take with me anyway? What is more important, glorious sunshine or greed?
Let me think. Let me think.
.
Photo location: Bang Saphan Noi, Prachuab Khirikan province

No comments:

Post a Comment