The man who owes the grocery store and other businesses is probably the richest fellow in our little town. This doesn't put him on the level of Bill Gates, but it does make him a very big fish in a small pond. Like so many Thais of Chinese descent, his work ethic is extraordinary and inspirational, and I can see it also in his children. So when he talks, I always listen carefully.When I went to his grocery store today asked, "What do you hear from America about the financial crisis?"
I said I am hearing worries and genuine concerns and told him a friend in America said where she lives, it's eerie to drive down the street and see familiar businesses closed down.
"I am also worried, and I am telling all the young people working for me to spend money only on absolute necessities," the man said.
What he said next took me by surprise.
"I have some money in bank accounts, but very little. The rest of my money is in a safe at home," he said, looking across the street at his upstairs living quarters.
"I have a huge safe," he added, spreading his arms wide, "I spent a hundred thousand baht to buy it."
I sure hope he doesn't brag about his safe to every customer who comes in. Someone might be tempted to make a close inspection.
As for me, I'm considering using plastic containers and burying them under coconut trees.
.
Photo: Young banana tree leaf unfolding.
No comments:
Post a Comment