12.11.08

We'll Be Fine

My farm manager and I were recently discussing what food supply the families of our workers would need to survive in a worst-case scenario of a total collapse of the economy. Not that I think it would come to that, but better plan ahead and be safe than sorry.
Predictably, the farm manager said we would need rice. That's not a problem since we have enough land to grow wild rice which does not require a lot of water. This is the same kind of rice that mountain tribes grow; in Thailand it is also known as Karieng rice or farm rice ("khao rai").
"What else do we need?" I asked. His answer surprised me. He said hardly anything else is needed because the workers grow their own vegetables, get bamboo shoots from the forest, and pick mushrooms in the nearby mountains. We also have many fruit trees - tamarind, banana, mango, etc.
I am working on what to do with protein supply. A fish pond, maybe.
.
Photo: I took the above picture of ordinary rocks and modified it using the ACDPro software.

No comments:

Post a Comment