24.10.08

Coming Full Circle




Photography came into my life by the kindness of my father who gave me a Kodak Brownie camera when I was around eight or nine. Soon later, when our family moved to Switzerland, two of my elder brothers took to developing and printing black and white photographs at home, converting an upstairs bathroom into a fully functional photo lab.
I remember spending hours in the darkroom learning how to properly submerge exposed photographic paper in a solution called "developer" and then to put it in a "fixer" solution when the tones are just right. That was not easy to do because the only source of light in the room was a small red bulb.
Today, black and white photography has become a specialty. Here in Bangkok, there are only a few commercial places that will accept black and white work and the cost the get the pictures printed or enlarged is quite high.
However, thanks to modern computer technology, a color digital photograph can be turned into a black and white one quite easily. That's what I did in the above photos, two of which have appeared earlier in this blog in color.

2 comments:

  1. i love it! send me your work! i would love to frame some for our house. and say those are by poppy :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be happy to, Rebecca.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete