Back in the 1950's, when our family was living in Switzerland, my father would prepare his children for visits to other countries in Europe by typing background information, including history, culture, society, and many other items of interest for us to read. It was a remarkable effort, and for him it was also a labor of love.This was well before electric typewriters were in wide use, and I can still clearly remember hearing the tap-tap-tap of his manual typewriter as he prepared what amounts to a precursor of today's guidebooks. He would produce quite a few pages on each country, and when he was done typing, he took the pieces of paper and created a booklet with a lovely cover. It was all hand made.
I sent Veronica an e-mail the other day to tell her that I was reading the history of the Netherlands in my guidebook in preparation for being there this week. Not surprisingly, she has already done all that, and in much greater depth than I have. The legacy lives on, and in my mind's eye, I can see my father typing and smiling.
Photo location: Bang Saphan Noi, Prachuab Khirikan province
I would have loved to have read what Grandfather would have written about the Netherlands! I'm sure it would have been very insightful and very interesting.
ReplyDelete