A few years ago I was at a service station when an old lady came up to me, pushing her little cart, and offered to sell a young plant. In a situation such as this, I almost always say, "No, thank you" and get in the car or walk away. But on this occasion I felt empathy towards the lady and appreciated her directness, and so I bought the plant, not expecting much from it.What you see in this picture is a grandchild of the plant that I bought. The original one still grows in my front yard in Banrai and I've propagated its shoots and branches, as well as those of its descendants, at other places. Friends have asked for clippings.
I wish I could see the lady again to thank her for bringing this luxuriant and exhuberant beauty into my life. Our meeting one another wasn't just fortuitous. For me, it's miraculous. Around here, one would say that the encounter was predestined and also that the lady and I had met before in another life. I'm perfectly comfortable with both scenarios as long as I can keep looking out my window at the front yard and feel tingly inside.
Photo location: Bang Saphan Noi, Prachuabkhirikan province
No comments:
Post a Comment