21.4.08

Still Dreaming: Cozy Cabin With View

I've often thought of building, mostly on my own, a small seaside cabin with a raised deck that has this kind of view. I'm handy enough with saw and hammer and greatly enjoy working with wood.
Years ago, I renovated a small cabin under the guidance of a dear friend, Mr. Ed Williams, who was in his early eighties at the time. Mr. Williams would come over whenever he felt like it to give me guidance and instruction, all out of the kindness of his big heart. What an angel of a man he was to me.
Labor is relatively inexpensive in Thailand. In the provinces, a construction worker with good skills makes the equivalent of about six dollars a day, and for eight dollars a day you can get the village genius to work for you.
For the cabin project, however, I want the pleasure of working with my hands and creating something that settles me down. "Hands to work," the Shakers said, and that's what mine can't wait to do.
And one more thing to complete the picture: a small sailboat!

Photo location: Koh Chang, Trat province

No comments:

Post a Comment